Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sunburst on the Weekend

Turnagain, Alaska



Here starts the training sessions. I make Dinkum walk behind me on a lead because if I let him off the lead he chases whatever human or animal he can see at the top of the mountain. We skiied at Sunburst on Saturday and then again on Sunday this weekend. On Saturday Dinkum shot off ahead of us up the mountain and was not seen for hours. I climbed as fast as I could, finally catching up with the speedy party of 5 people that had attracted him. Sweaty and exhausted, I clipped Dinkum back onto the leash. That night I got a migraine from the exertion. The next day I was out again, back in the saddle, Dinkum on a leash, and my ski-pole upside-down in one hand, knocking him on the head everytime he came forward on the back of my skis. He came forward onto the back of my skiis almost every step. I relentlessly tapped him in the face with the handle of my ski pole feeling half a good parent, and half a bad parent.

Luckily when we ski down the mountain Dinkum knows what to do and keeps out of trouble. He bounds through the snow like a dolphin through the waves. He's small, but big enough.

No comments: