Saturday, November 29, 2008

Tree Traditions

Anchorage, Alaska

In Australia we have a family tradition of walking up the mountain to chop down a pine tree for Christmas. I brought this tradition with me. Yesterday Brendan and the dogs and I headed off on bicycles equiped with a Japanese hand-saw for an urban adventure.



We preyed upon the rough stand of forest inbetween Chester Creek trail, a large apartment complex, and the community garden. It was snowing steadily. There was a small quibble over which tree would be sacrificed, in keeping with tradition. I wanted a full sized tree, Brendan wanted a table-top tree. We selected the miserly upper-half of a tree so that it would fit inside our apartment, and so that no lives would be lost in the process, the tree could keep growing.

It was over very quickly. As Brendan says, "You can't chop down a twig". We strapped the tree to my bike, strapped Dinkum to my bike, and rode home.

No comments: