Saturday, July 22, 2006

Strange Noises and No Water (Day 6)

Harbour Island. 1pm

We have run out of stream water, and on this island there is none. We spend the morning paddling to the mainland for a stream but find none. Setting out again to find water, I take note of the beached icebergs and think: 'There's fresh water!' We hack off some iceberg, strap it to the kayak and paddle back to the island, where I notice there are three icebergs that have been sitting on the beach there all along! I melt the iceberg in my stove, in novel necessity, and we make porridge and enjoy the glacial grit in our mouths.


Waiting for Adventure Bound, 3:30pm pickup. Strange noises come in this harbour, whales bellow in the distance. We're just past slack low tide, Sand Spit is fully exposed. I keep looking to the horizon where the boat will appear in two hours.
I take a photo of my face, foreign to me now after days without reflection, and covered in grime. Hi me. We'll get you cleaned-up soon enough.

No comments: