
When I questioned Damion over his attraction to guns he quoted the American Constitution. He said, 'The first ammendment is the freedom of speech, the second is the right to bear arms. I am making the most of my American liberties'. I scoffed out loud, and in my mind comforted myself with the oft-quoted Australian phrase, 'Americans are crazy'.
I had closer encounter with gun passion on my visit to Haines. It was there I went on my first armoured hike, thanks to our friend Gary (pictured). Fair enough, we were in bear country and brown bears (known in Interior Alaska as Grizzlies) as well as black were emerging from hiberntion to seek green sping shoots to alleviate their 6 month constipation, and give birth to the cubs they'd been brewing over the long winter. Both constipation and new bubs makes a bear rather tetchy, thus in this context a gun can seem a good idea.
But here we enter the grey area of Safety and Precautions To Be Taken. After talking with a range of Alaskans I have decided that safety is matter of style. I am still exploring the notion that if you expect the worse to happen then fate is far more likely to fulfill your expectations.
Let's discuss Safety Style: A hiker chooses their bear protection. This can be:
1. Nothing, Nada, Niente
2.Reading 'what to do in case of bear attack'
3. Making noise when walking to prevent startling a bear and thus encouraging an attack
4. Carying bear repellant - an extra strong pepper spray
5. Carrying a gun to shoot the bear if attacked
6. Carrying a gun to shoot yourself in case of an attack
I am of the opinion that a gun is going to spoil your chances of a happy ending. But then again I have the belief that guns inherently bring danger to any situation rather than safety. I do not feel safer with a gun around, but there are many who feel the opposite. Here I am witness to a society that has taught it's citizens that guns means protection of an individual, when I see only that an individual with a gun means a threat to a whole community. Or bear. Gary felt safe with a gun. He also felt safe with us wearing bear repellant. I am a novice in Alaskan forests and feel safer with an experienced guide, and experienced Gary is.

That day we were not hunting bears but the shy Calypso Orchid, a beautiful purple flower that blooms for only a short time in spring. There was a rumour going around Haines that Calypso might be offering a peek at her purple, but we had donned bear protection and trekked the steep mountainside to her garden, Calypso remained hidden. Wrapped up in a delicate green mantle, Calypso was tucked up and away, waiting for a little more sunny encouragement before showing some color. I don't blame her - Spring 2006 is proving to be all about cold, snow, and rain.
No comments:
Post a Comment