Wednesday, May 10, 2006
A Few Friends
I have made two real friends in Juneau, Rick and Jeff. I met these two at Church in my first week in Alaska during the Folk Music Festival. In the community room of Juneau Uniting Church, folks had gathered on the Friday to play tunes and contra-dance. At midday a call was made, and like the dance call, each person followed quickly the lead: to set out lunch. Within five minutes the little dance hall was transformed into a room for a feast, packed with round tables. I had come to the jam to sit at the back of the musicians and fiddle along as best I could to the unfamiliar tunes. Now, I stood aukwardly to the side of the hall, helping to 'hold up the wall' and looking out for a friendly face. I spied three very nice looking men sitting at a table. Two had yellow t-shirts on, one with overalls over these. There were beards and laughter and one of them smiled at me twice, so I just had to cut in: 'Can I sit here?' End of story. From then I hung out with Rick and Jeff and Ryan, but our time was all too short because being young wholesome types, they get right out of Juneau during the summer time, retreating back to their respective cabins in the woods. Jeff goes to Gustavis and Rick goes to Shelter Island.
No comments:
Post a Comment