Did you know that whales made trails in the ocean?

Neither did I before Dan pointed it out on our flight along the Southern coast of Alaska. You can see the trails in the image above, behind the two Grey whales travelling from the right to the left of the frame. Their bodies make pock-marks in the ocean as their mass cuts through the silt in the water. The ocean is particularly silty here because of the glacier melt.
Glaciers, grey whales, sea lions, mountain goats, clear-cut logging, bear tracks, radars for the Russian invasion, iceburgs, frozen lakes, a pod of 6 Orca - scenery was bountiful for the seven hour trip. I was beside myself with excitement.
On-board security was lax - I prepared lunch as Dan flew, sipped coffee, and spotted whales. He even let me fly the plane.
We stopped in a remote inlet to refuel with the petrol Dan had stored in the floats. The fuel goes into the wings of the plane.
No comments:
Post a Comment