Friday, April 07, 2006

Jamming at the Alaskan Folk Festival

Thursday 6th April 2006
Heritage Coffee Company Cafe, Front Street, Juneau

It's Thursday and I still haven't played. I'm hitting myself with stimulants in Juneau's own Heritage coffee shop: coffee and cookies. I walked in to find a mob of folk fest musos jamming away, two good mando players, a concentina squeeze, and one bad old mando player, curiously adorned with knee pads, two sun hats, and a Hawaian shirt. It takes all kinds to make a folk festival, believe me.....

OK, so the jam was busting up and I finally got the gall to introduce myself. Now I have met Martha, a great mandolin player and the nicest of ladies. She gently explained how the whole jamming scene works, and basically told me not to be shy. I know I just worry about doing something badly in public - not something I think a real musician would worry about. As Ally told me about a month ago in Darwin, 'Oi meg... don't be no fuss budget...' It was such good advice that I got her to write it out for me. It's really good advice: just get out there and do it.

No comments: