It was at the Presentation Dinner for the First Bi-Annual Young Water Professionals Conference that the challenge was put to me: flip a coin. ‘Flipping a coin works for me all the time’, the German young water professional said.
I’d just finished describing the bones of my dream journey to the three women, my passion slipping out onto my gestures and voice, undeniable. I caught myself quickly then, and moved back into the murky puddle of last-year’s mantra, ‘But I don’t know…’. Nadine had seen it however, and caught me up, ‘It sounds like you know exactly what you want to do.’ And yes, I had to agree, I had just divulged unbounded enthusiasm for an activity and place beyond being a Graduate Water Engineer in Darwin, Australia. So she flipped the coin and I said, ‘Heads Australia, tails Alaska’.
As the coin came down I noticed in myself a heavy bias towards the success of tails, and to my relief heads was heavy on the day, and no match for Tails Alaska.
No comments:
Post a Comment