Friday 17th March 2006, Darwin City
My final day of work dawned. Sixty-two dollars worth of fish and chips later, I hosted my farewell morning tea. The final supper. The fish was hot, tender, and good. Some kind words were said about yours truly and then we participated in fluorescent-lit chit-chat. Fortuneately, Ron's world map was close at hand so I could point out my destination dot: Juneau, Alaska. This was helpful for the geographically-vague amongst my work-fellows. There had been jokes about polar bears and Baked Alaska, but did they really understand where I was going? Certainly Alaska is an exotic location, and the mention of it had inspired a mixed bag of suprise, excitement, and befuddlement. After the question was asked, I felt a small sense of guilt the moment before divulging my destination, guilt like that a joke-teller has as she holds the punchline a moment longer, knowing what the response will be. It's a setup, you're going to be amazed.
On this final day I was siezed by affection for my colleages in Land Development. Who could blame me? Their impeccable sense of humour and determination to have a good time at work had taught me an invaluable lesson in office survival: laugh or die. If only I had met them sooner.
No comments:
Post a Comment