Sunday, June 17, 2007

Fly Fishing Island

A small island on the Kenai River

Walking to the island for a fly fishing weekend. This is the same spot we stopped in September last year when the valley was ablaze with yellow aspen. Now it glows green in summer foliage.

Here is Bren fly fishing at 12:30am, one week before solstice. It never gets dark. Bren got a few Rainbow Trout on the line. The Red Salmon are also running now, but we were using flies for trout. The egg sucking leech is a particularly desireable fly for Rainbows, Bren assures me. I give it a red hot go, and have a tired shoulder to prove that I'm not quite doing it right ("it's all in the wrist"), but I remember the lesson Dad gave me last April in Juneau, and I don't go too badly with the old fly rod, if I say so myself.

A Dog's Breakfast

Hunting for Morels on the Devil's Creek Trail.

The elusive Morel. We eat some later that night with some Halibut in a white wine and caper sauce with our friends Teeny and Ray. Delicious. We also found many brain mushrooms which we initially thought were morels. I tasted one. Later, at Teeny and Ray's we looked in a mushroom book to see which of the mushrooms we had collected were actually edible. It turns out the brain mushroom is poisonous, but eaten by some "with impunity". I guess I was the impunious one, because I'm still kicking.

No comments: