
Setting off on our hike, ready to ford Teklanika River and do some heavy bush-bashing through the bear-infested woods.

Although park rules stated: No Guns, Damion felt unable to go into the woods without his pistol. I had left him at the car earlier to make his decision, after lecturing him on the benefits of feeling vulnerable now and then. A few minutes into the walk I looked over to see his gun sticking out of his pack. I had mixed feelings about it, but can appreciate that people who know how to use guns and are accustomed to hunting with them would find the idea of leaving home without one idiotic. All park rangers are trained to use and carry firearms at all times - in Alaska it is believed to be common sense to carry a gun as self-defense against bears, with the footnote; 'but it should not be an excuse for irresponsible behaviour in respect to bear awareness and safety'.

On this trip I was once more faced with dehydrated food. I am growing accustomed to it, but scrambled eggs is going too far if you ask me. I stick to porridge.

Luckily nature provided bountiful snacks along the way.
No comments:
Post a Comment